Big News! We have a new questionnaire for the guys!
Are you ready to be part of a ground-breaking anthology focusing on men and their toxic moms? Do you know a guy who has struggled with a toxic mom? Here’s the starting point. Here’s the official questionnaire!
TOXIC MOM TOOLKIT: THE GUY’S QUESTIONNAIRE
Instructions: Please copy the entire questionnaire and type your answers underneath each question. When you’ve completed the questionnaire, please copy and email to email@example.com with a note on how to contact you, if I have follow-up questions. These questionnaires are for my eyes only. They will not be reproduced in any way or posted anywhere. If your story is included in the Anthology, we will decide together how to describe you. In Toxic Mom Toolkit, we used initials and birth year. As editor, I need to know that you are a real person and I need a way to contact you. Thank you!
- Tell me about you. What year where you born and where does your birth fit in among siblings? Please provide a basic description of your parents/family. What did your parents do for a living? What activities were important to them? Did your family grow through adoption or foster placement? *Where do you live now?
- Describe the arc of your academic and professional life to present. What is your current occupation? If you volunteer in your community, how often? Doing what?
- Describe the relationship with your mother in three segments: as a child, a teen and young adult.
- How old were you when you first realized your mother was different than other mothers?
- What is your biggest criticism of your mother?
- What would she criticize about you?
- Describe any significant periods of estrangement. How easy (or difficult) was it to limit (or cut off) contact?
- How has your relationship with your mother affected your relationships with others?
- Describe your relationship with your father. Describe your mother’s relationship with your father.
- Is your mother demanding of your time? How does that make you feel?
- Do you feel disloyal if you speak negatively about your mother?
- Does your mother treat you as if you are expected to assume your father’s role at some point?
- How many friends can you really talk to about your mother?
- Describe your current family status. Do you have children? If not, why not?
- Have you served in the military? If so, please describe your roles and postings.
- If you have children does your mother have access to your children? Are you comfortable with that or would you like to limit contact between your mother and children? Why?
- Describe your current relationship with your mother. Given your current levels of contact how are you viewed within your family?
- Have you ever talked to a therapist about your mother? Was it helpful?
- Moving forward, do you anticipate any changes in your view of your mother?
- Do you experience personal guilt, social guilt or remorse about decisions you’ve made regarding your mother?
- Have you felt disloyal regarding your mother?
- As your mother ages, do you see yourself having more or less contact? Why?